Perfect Pasta, Peas and Parmesan

Standard
Pasta, Peas and Parmesan

Pasta, Peas and Parmesan

Well, Saturday again. It’s the turn of a nice medium, hard boiled, organic, free range egg to give itself over to my breakfast delight – and it was worth it. Definitely a good egg! I also need to confess to a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with a dollop of marmalade – no butter, of course!

Lunch was tomato and pepper soup With added crushed cooked chick peas for extra goodness. This was served with a side salad of lettuce, radish, grated carrot and sultanas plus the usual teaspoonful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds with some chunky wholemeal bread. Surely I’m ready to do some hard manual labour now – or maybe I need to rest!

Tomato and Something Soup

Tomato and Pepper Soup With Added Crushed Cooked Chick Peas

Dinner – a pasta peas and parmesan dish based on a recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. If you google macaroni peas (Petula obviously substituted the macaroni for pasta) by HF-W you will instantly find this recipe which was really good.

And something for a snack – Lemon cheesecake on a ginger biscuit base with a blueberry topping Not at all healthy but as per the top tips – be good for 90% of the time and the other 10% is less important. Also, it was leftover from my birthday treat 6 weeks ago and it was cluttering up the freezer – so really I was doing Petula a favour! This was actually a small slice of homemade cheesecake – the picture makes actually makes it look bigger.

Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberry Topping

Lemon Cheesecake with Blueberry Topping

This will be my last post for a few days as I will be off at a significant family event – back soon!

Luscious Lentil Cottage Pie

Standard
Luscious Lentil Cottage Pie

Luscious Lentil Cottage Pie

Today started off well with a nice bowl of hot porridge with sultanas, yoghurt, a pinch of cinnamon and a light drizzling of honey just to appease my sweet tooth. A great way to start the day off.

As Petula had some smoked mackerel left over from earlier in the week, she decided to whip up a smoked mackerel paté for lunch. This is a nice simple recipe made by mashing the fish in a bowl with some low fat natural yoghurt, some lemon juice and some freshly grated black pepper. This we had with a some watercress, sliced tomatoes and crispy sour dough toast.

Smoked Mackerel Paté

Smoked Mackerel Paté

Petula likes to use lentils as the basis of our meals quite often as pulses are particularly healthy, and red lentils are easy to use as they only need a short cooking time.  This leads us nicely into our evening meal which today was individual luscious lentil cottage pies, a fabulous dish which was particularly moorish and great for a winter’s evening. The recipe for this cracking cottage pie is:

Lentil Cottage Pie

  • 1 onion, chopped.
  • 1 large carrot, diced.
  • Green vegetables e.g. peas, shredded cabbage etc.
  • 100g red lentils.
  • Tomato puree or tomato ketchup, to taste.
  • 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs.
  • 10 floz vegetable stock.
  • Enough potatoes to make a mashed potato topping.
  • Grated cheese e.g. cheddar.

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 180°c.
  • Cook the potatoes, mash with a little milk, and season with a little freshly ground black pepper.
  • Meanwhile, in a saucepan, fry the onion and carrot in a little oil for 5 minutes.
  • Add the red lentils, green vegetables, mixed herbs and stock and bring to the boil.
  • Cover and simmer until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
  • When cooked, stir in some tomato purée or tomato ketchup to taste, plus some freshly ground black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • Put the lentil mixture into 2 individual or 1 larger oven proof dish and top with the mashed potatoes, fluffing up with a fork.
  • Sprinkle the grated cheese onto the top.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven.

Give it a go – you know it makes sense!

If you want to see more of Petula’s recipes then snick on over to her recipe page by Clicking Here.